Courtesy of a public job list service which wishes to remain anonymous
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998
Announcement of Full-time Instructor Position
Hokkaido University of Education, Iwamizawa
Applications are invited for a full-time English instructor. Prospective applicants should refer to the following:
1. Teaching Duty: Normal load of 8 classes per semester (Freshman English Conversation, English Composition for English Majors, English Pronunciation Exercise, Cross-cultural Communication Studies, etc.)
2. Period of Employment: The successful applicant will be required to take up duty on April 1, 1999. The contract will be expired on March 31, 2000, but it may be renewed for another year if his/her work proves satisfactory.
(1) Applicants must be native speakers of English.
(2) They must NOT be Japanese citizens.
(3) They must have a master's or higher degree (or its equivalent).
(4) They should be broadly trained and committed to research in the field of TESOL, linguistics or cross-cultural communication.
(5) They should be 40 years or younger on the day of employment.
*(4) and (5) above are not mandatory requirements in applying for the position.
4. For application: Please submit:
(1) A curriculum vitae including a full statement of qualifications, professional career including gender and date of birth
(2) Official transcripts (undergraduate and graduate)
(3) A list of papers and publications
(4) Three self-selected works (reprints of papers or photocopies of publications), if any
(5) A recent photograph with the name of the applicant printed on the back
(6) Three letters of recommendation from persons closely associated with his or her current work
(7) Teaching plans (or syllabuses) for Freshman English and English Composition for English Majors
To: Selection Committee General Affairs Section Hokkaido University of Education, Iwamizawa Campus Midorigaoka 2-34 Iwamizawa, Hokkaido 068-8642 JAPAN
5. Application Deadline: Application must be received no later than January 29, 1999.
Write "Job Application" in red on the envelope and send it by registered mail.
Final candidates will be interviewed in Iwamizawa in February.
For further information, please contact Yoshiki Yokoyama Phone 0126-32-0312 Fax 0126-32-0251 E-mail <email@example.com>
Comments: Unusual is the requirement that the employee NOT be a Japanese citizen--ergo this is a special job category created ONLY for foreigners. Age restrictions, even if only as preferences, are also stipulated. The one-year contract, usually only given to part-timers, is capped at one renewal, which is very short in Japan, and an affront to those who are as qualified as they seek and willing to take on a workload that is probably more than double what a person on a part-time contract would otherwise receive.