Hi Blog. Have a look at this. This is long overdue indeed! Well done Saitama Prefecture! Debito
Multicultural real estate agents
To make renting an apartment easier for non-Japanese, and deal with discrimination by apartment landlords and owners, one prefecture in Japan is sponsoring an effort to establish a database of “multicultural” real estate agents.
The government of Saitama Prefecture began it’s effort in 2006. There are now 113 multicultural real estate agents registered. Saitama is located 23 kilometers north of of Tokyo.
Information pamphlets in Chinese, English, Portuguese and Spanish are available, and telephone interpretation is offered by volunteers. (English .pdf)
The Daily Yomiuri reports the project has become widely known among foreigners by word of mouth.
Phone numbers and addresses of the participating agents are included in the list. Lets Japan viewed 42 websites listed in the multicultural real estate registry, and found the logo displayed on only three sites: Roomspot; Risouhouse; Saihokujisho
- Ryan Hagglund on how he successfully dealt with an exclusionary landlord
- “No Foreigners” realtor in Osaka–according to its catalog
- Photos of places in Japan which exclude or restrict non-Japanese customers
- Waging a War on Anti-Americanism
- Welcome non-Japanese customers
- Renting Guide – Intro