UPDATES ON TWITTER: arudoudebito
DEBITO.ORG PODCASTS now on iTunes, subscribe free
Happy New Year, Blog. As a smaller post to start off 2010, let me ask readers what they think the most important NJ human rights events (I won’t say “advances”, as I consider 2009 to be pretty mixed) were last year? I’ve put them as a blog poll on the right so you can vote (choose three), but below are the ones that come to my mind, in no particular order (if you think I’ve missed any, Comments Section).
I’ll be ranking them myself in my next Japan Times JUST BE CAUSE column out January 5, so have a read! Thanks for reading and supporting Debito.org, everyone. Arudou Debito in Sapporo
- The Nikkei “Repatriation Bribe”
- The election of the DPJ and concomitant hopes
- The Savoie Child Abduction Case
- The forthcoming IC Chips in Gaijin Cards
- “Newcomer” Permanent Residents outnumbering “Oldcomer” Zainichi PRs
- The Calderon Noriko Case
- Police arresting a 74-yr-old US tourist for carrying a pocket knife
- Ichihashi Tatsuya’s arrest for the Hawker Murder
- “The Cove” documentary exposing Wakayama dolphin slaughters
- NJ also to be listed on Juuminhyou Residency Certificates
- McDonald’s Japan’s gaijin shill “Mr James”
- Sakanaka’s proposals for an Immigration Ministry et al
- NOVA boss Saruhashi getting 3.5 years for embezzlement
- Roppongi police street testing NJ urine for drugs
- Sakai Noriko pinning her drug issues on NJ dealers
- Pothead Sumo wrestlers
- Something else
- Don’t know / Can’t say / Don’t care etc.
2 comments on “Debito.org Blog Poll: What do you consider the TOP THREE NJ human rights events of 2009 in Japan? (More in Japan Times Jan 5)”
The election of the DPJ and concomitant hopes
“Newcomer” Permanent Residents outnumbering “Oldcomer” Zainichi PRs
NJ also to be listed on Juuminhyou Residency Certificates
Don’t lose the forest for the trees. Incidents are not as important as sea changes.
Happy New Year!
The Calderon Case
I suppose the first non LDP government in decades and the directions being proposed by the DPJ could earn them the third spot here… though I loathe to sound overly sycophantic.